Saturday, January 21, 2017

Vampire Jonathon on The Inauguration &The Avett Brothers :: I'll Fly Away





I slept through the actual Event. Being a vampire, that's a given. But It was still all over the television when I rose. I saw enough. He also assumed a 'burden' today. And do not think it's a light or easy one. I know about burdens...and you know about me. For those who don't, I am the life-eater, Jonathon ben Macabi, also known as Tomas de Macabea, a reverent, 'noble' vampire, who sought not this dark contagion, but transcended it. I take not the innocent. Indeed, discovering the 'noble' breed has been my salvation.... or my most recent salvation.



Many know I was born into a believing family in Old El Andalus approximately one thousand years ago. I play the oud and the Spanish guitar. I speak in the cadences of El Cid. We had a chapel in my father's house. Old Rabbi Abravanel, the chaplin emeritus of Elijah The Prophet synagogue in Sevilla rode out in a closed 'Roman' carriage every Sabbath Eve to lead us through the prayers and stayed the night to preach again the next day. How I loved the service, delivered in a mix of Hebrew, Andalusian Spanish and Arabic. When I sit still and all is quiet I can still hear it.



There's a part I'd like to share with you now, especially in light of today's important events. So, brethren, and I consider all righteous searchers as my brothers and sisters, let us consider Deuteronomy 24:14-15 and we begin... Thou salt not oppress a hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates.



In the same day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it, for he is poor and his heart is set upon it.



That simple teaching means a lot. It means be a good 'boss'... be a good leader... be true to all. There are no strangers. That word is our creation, not God's. Would that America's new elected king (for that is what presidents truly are) know that.



And there is a passage in The Holy Book of Ishmael. Considering the land of my birth, I knew that too, a short couplet, but a vital one ~



And our Merciful God says ~



I created you as many nations and groups

so that ye may know each other.....



Sometimes I think this nation, America, is the land where that revelation truly came to be. Who is NOT here? What people do we lack? What creed prays not within our shores? This is the place where all become one, not blended into a featureless mass, but true and unique, like the sparkling facets of a diamond. I hope we all remember that. And may it be that we come to accept, love and respect each other. May we come to know each other as worthy brethren and beloved neighbors on this 'island' Earth.



That's all... The purpose of life is possibilities. What choices do we make?



I sit in my favorite room, the little library, as I write this. I listen to The Avett Brothers and I think. This has been a contentious year. While the inauguration might stop that, let us all stay true. Let us all remember our dreams. Let us all make this place, this America, a better place, but let us proceed without malice, contention, 

or hate.



Had I not been burdened with this 'vampire' thing to save me from a martyr's death, I suppose I too would have been ordained. So permit me these moments at the 'bima' (Hebrew for preacher's rostrum, or 'reading table') and thank you for reading my words.



<more next time>



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



click bit.ly/297pDxg ... to see all episodes of Vampire Wonderland then click on the 'subscribe' rectangle in the upper right corner of the screen. they who control this site changed it and that's how it works now.



click Twitter.com/wilkravitz ... to join me and meet a whole lot of interesting people.

if you like, please leave a comment. share your thoughts on the Inauguration. go 'on the record.'



Thanks again.... Billy

No comments: